A couple weeks back “The Pen and Parchment” was awarded the “Happiness 101” award by Brad. Thank you Brad! I’m so glad you like it! Anyway, with this award I’m supposed to list ten things that make me happy and then pass the award along. So here we go.
1) Writing. Yep, you guessed it. After all, why would I name my blog “The Pen and Parchment” if I didn’t enjoy writing? Writing has always been a way for me to express myself, whether it’s in poetry, song lyrics, short stories, or novels. I’ve found both escape and comfort in the words that drift through my head and down to my fingers, and from there onto the page. Writing will always be one of the most significant things in my life that makes me happy.
2) Reading. Well, it makes sense doesn’t it? Reading and writing just sort of walk hand in hand. You almost can’t have one without the other… almost. I’ve always enjoyed reading since I was a little girl. Books have provided a way for me to see into some amazing worlds that have always been there, but that others just don’t want to see (if that makes sense). They have provided me with escapes, with adventure, with mystery, and even with love. I will enjoy reading a good book until the day I die… and maybe after. (you never know! Maybe God has books in heaven too! :D)
3) Drawing. Yes, I am an artist. I love to sketch out pictures of what my characters look like as I see them in my head. The problem is, I have to be inspired to draw something well; if I’m not… well, let’s just say it’s not that pretty. But, when I am inspired, I feel like I can draw anything! Art is a way to make the fantasy I read and write about become visual for others to enjoy as well. And sometimes the picture doesn’t always turn out the way I thought it would in my head (just like when I’m writing a story) so it’s always an interesting process.
4) Music. Kinda makes sense, though, doesn’t it? I mean, writing, reading, music, and art all walk hand in hand after all. But honestly, who doesn’t enjoy listening to music? I find my inspiration is best stirred when I listen to Celtic or Folk music, although I enjoy Country every now and again, and I also like Contemporary Christian. Recently I was introduced to the Filk genre; now that is an interesting genre, let me tell you! It’s a type of music based off of books or movies that inspired the artist. I guess that means you could call “May it Be” written by Enya for LOTR Filk. Who’da’thunk! But I also enjoy playing guitar and writing the lyrics to my own songs.
5) Jesus. I guess He should have been at the very top of my list huh? But I’m just writing these things down as they come to my head, so just know what He’s my #1. Without him I couldn’t do any of the things I do today, be any of the things I am, or become any of the things I will be. He is my #1 inspiration, my #1 joy, and my #1 love. Shoot! He’s my #1 period! In Him do I find solace when the world seems in turmoil. I know that He will never forsake me… never.
6) My family. I love them all so much! However, when you’re the oldest of six children, you’ve got to expect a bit of a love-hate relationship with some of your brothers and sisters. *roguish grin* But even with all the trouble they’ve caused me, and all the times I’ve wished I was an only child, and all the times that I’ve… *clears throat* well, yeah… you get the picture. Even with all that, I still love them so much!
7) Ok, now it’s getting tougher. For the 7th thing that makes me happy, I’ll have to choose… my friends. I have some really amazing ones. I don’t always let them know that I appreciate them as much as I do, but I hope that they know it anyway. Thanks guys!
8) Blogging. I know, this one probably should be under “writing”, but I think I’ll just keep it the way it is. I have discovered since starting “The Pen and Parchment” in April that I really enjoy blogging! Like, seriously! In fact, some people might call me addicted. I’m not sure if I really am, but I do enjoy it a lot.
9) Bookstores. Bookstores make me very happy! Of course, this might fit under “Reading” just as well as blogging fit under “Writing” but I’m just gonna keep them separate. I tell you, I just LOVE stepping into a B&B or a Border’s store. There’s something about a bookstore that just gets me so excited. (It’s probably all those amazing books on the shelves… go figure!)
10) My room. I love it. I really do. You see, I only just got it remodeled before last semester started. It was the first time I’d ever seen my room decorated just the way I wanted it. Granted, it’s a mess again, but still. “Messy” is the constant state of my room but “disorganized”? Never. I still know just where everything is… oh wait. Where did that pencil disappear to? *grin*
So, there they are: the ten things that make me happy. I know there are more, and maybe some of these seem trivial, but they’re not to me.
Here are the people I’m going to give the “Happiness 101” award to.
Nathan Bradsford: For all the amazing advice he gives out about writing and the publishing world. I have found so many helpful tips on his blog, it’s not even funny! Since I started following him, I’ve seen my writing take a turn for the better. (And he’s a literary Agent open for queries! How cool is that, right?)
Dancing-with-dragons-is-hard-on-your-shoes: I just recently started following this blog, but I was caught immediately by the author’s funny yet sincere voice. And she has a book supposed to be published soon. I’ll be sure to check it out.
Lydia Sharp: Some of the best advice I’ve ever gotten (writing wise) was handed out by her on the WD forum. She’s also an amazing writer and her blog is very insightful. Check it out here(link) if you haven’t already. :)
BrandiG: Another amazing writer with an amazing blog! Once again, I met her on the forums at WD. She’s got a very colorful way with words and the pictures she creates with them are just phenomenal!
Squeaks: I follow this blog regularly. The posts are usually thought provoking at the least… out right inspiring at best. Check it out! :)
Brad: Thank you! I’m glad you enjoy my blog and I hope it’s as fun to read as I find yours to be!
I have a whole bunch more, but I think I’m just going to pause for awhile. If you would like this award, just go ahead and take it. I hope it makes you smile like it did for me as I wrote this! :) I will be posting links to the names I have awarded this to in the near future! :D