Monday, May 10, 2010

Wish Me Luck... *Crosses Fingers*

Before anyone asks: no, I have not found an agent yet to represent Song of the Daystar.  Still working on that.  But that is not what this post is about.

This post is about a couple of other stories I have written... Short stories, no longer than 4k.  And two poems.

Now, some of you may already be members at writersdigest.com and some may not.  Some of you may get the magazine and some may not.  But for those of you who don't already know this, Writers' Digest is hosting a competition for Short stories and poetry, with the grand prize being $3,000 and a trip to NYC to meet with editors and agents.  All submissions are due May 14 or else an extra $5 must be payed per entry.

I have just entered two of my short stories and two poems.

That's a lot of money, I know, ($60 all told) but God has been kind to me recently and has granted me the entrance fee.  I have edited like crazy: I've revised: I've worried.  Now all I can do is cross my fingers and pray.  And maybe worry some more.  Contest winners won't be notified until October.

Wish me luck everyone!!!  :)

And here's one of the poems to help pass the time.


The Rose Minstrel
By: Nichole White

How beautiful the rose at eve
As, delicate, its petals furl
How effortless I could believe
The rose to be a minstrel girl


For look unto her skirts of fire,
Of crimson edged in fairy-gold;
A beauteous flame of love’s desire
But wild, whose mysteries lie untold


How sweet her voice on breezes carried,
Whispered songs of secrets held
In my heart her whispers tarry;
Twined in thorns, my heart is spelled


On her beauty let me linger,
But I’m cheated by her shows
For my pretty minstrel singer
Ends up simply but a rose.

9 comments:

Jake said...

I'll be crossing my fingers for you, too!

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

That's a beautiful poem! You've done a splendid job!

Squeaks.

Gillian said...

Wow, that's awesome! I hope you do well in the contest - I'm sure you will!

I'm afraid I've never been any good at writing poetry... at least not the good kind! I can write any sort of silly poetry that you desire! lol :)

Gwendolyn said...

A beautiful poem, Nichole!

I wish you luck. ^^

Brad said...

Beautiful poetry.
I'm afraid I gave up on poetry after my senior year in high school, but I still enjoy reading good verse.
Always good to meet other Christian writers!

Danielle Diez - Maiden of Emmanuel said...

Glad to know you're part of the YCF now! :)

God bless,
MaidenOfEmmanuel

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

Hey Nicole, congrats! Not only on finishing your book and preparing for publishing but also on being the individual who was randomly drawn to win my Ring draw!! Please check out my blog for more details on the prize if you haven't done so already!

God Bless,

Squeaks.

Brandi Guthrie said...

I'll cross my fingers, toes and eyes for you, Nichole. And that's a really good poem! Good luck!

Star-Dreamer said...

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it so much!!! :D