Sunday, January 9, 2011

Change Can Be A Good Thing...

You know, writing this post was an interesting experience.

"Forest Bridge" representing "A Bridge of Change" (for this blog
picture found at: www.planetshu.deviantart.com
For one thing, by last post was about "change", and I asked everyone what they thought of changing the look around "The Pen and Parchment" which had looked the same since I started blogging in April.  Well, as you can see, I've started working out the changes around here: new header, new background, and I'm thinking about changing my blog button... as well as drastically shortening my posts.  (Yes, I've gone back through the posts of last year.  And MY WORD, you guys!  I sure was long winded!)

The second reason it was interesting to write this post is that "change" was what the sermon was about at my church this morning... physical and spiritual change.  Last week the pastor challenged the congregation to get physically fit by June, and to continue (always) to work on their spiritual relationship with God.  Before this challenge I had already decided to challenge myself to loose the weight I need to before summer.  I've been loosing slowly, but it's time to kick my butt in gear and crack down.  And what better time to commit to change than at the beginning of a new year?  (Yes, I said "commit"... I've vowed that this resolution won't end up half-finished.  However, the subject of commitment requires a different post.)

But you see, even that last reason isn't the one I chose to write this post about.  No, this post is about change in your novel - or my novel, as the case stands.

You remember my "finished" manuscript, Song of the Daystar?    Well... the hard truth is that a book is never really "finished" until it is on the printing press and the author has no way to get in and change things.

And before you ask, Yes SOTD is still under submission: no, I haven't gotten word of whether it is accepted or rejected yet.

But... I was blessed with a truly insightful beta reader since submitting SOTD who has pointed out a few serious character inconsistencies at the beginning of what once was considered the "finished" version of my manuscript.  And she has also kept my imagination fed when my pool of inspiration has grown stagnant from lack of ideas.  This beta reader is Adele Treskillard, and I would just like to take a moment to sincerely thank her for all her help.

Thanks Adele!!! :D

She's really great.

However, to fix these inconsistencies, the entire beginning (about 6-8 chapters worth) has be rewritten with a different premise.  And to do this correctly, at least three characters have to go.  They just aren't important enough and can be replaced by characters who are stronger and better for the roll.

Does this hurt?  Well... maybe.  It hurts my heart just a little to think of cutting and changing so much.  But it doesn't hurt the novel at all; instead it makes it stronger.  And, to be completely honest with myself and you readers, I'm really excited about these changes.  Totally stoked, in fact.  I haven't felt this ready to write since October... (November doesn't count: as soon as I sat down to do Nano, all my ideas flew out the window.)

So... *pours self and blog-followers an invisible drink of nonalcoholic white grape fizzy drink*... Here's to change in the New Year... change of all types, shapes, colors, textures, sounds, and mice... er, price.  (hehe!)

*clinks glass and gulps fizzy white grape drink down*

Ah!  So much better... now I can move on.  :D

9 comments:

Adele Treskillard said...

Nichole,

So happy to be your beta reader! And you've drastically helped my writing, too! haha :) As iron sharpens iron.

Your ink-stained friend,

~Adele

P.s. Long life to Curron, the Daystar, Caellahn and *not* Olan! May they have many adventures!!!!

RED~Scribe said...

Love the new look! You did an excellent job designing it.

Star-Dreamer said...

Adele: yep! So shall you sharpen each other. (or... something like that) lol! But you being my beta, means I get to be your beta, and that's a real treat. :)

Eldra: I'm glad you like it. It's not as light as I thought it was going to be, but you know, I think I like this theme better than the one I originally had in mind. :)

Jake said...

Good luck, my friend! May your ink never go dry... :) Which means ye need to write often enough to use it ;)

Galadriel said...

I love the new look

Creative Artist said...

*looks around with wide eyes* I like the color.
--Vrenith

Star-Dreamer said...

Thanks everybody. I'm glad you like the changes! :D

And Jake: lol! Yeah... that's the difficult part, though. I want to procrastinate so badly! But I'm learning to work through that.

Gillian said...

Can't wait to read the final version of Song of the Daystar! It'll be awesome.

How long has it been since you sent your manuscript to the publisher?

Star-Dreamer said...

Gil: Well, I'm supposed to hear back from him in February, which (of course) is next month. I'm so excited! But I'm also nervous and slightly terrified that he will decide to reject it.

Ah, the horrors of rejection... you just never know.

Anyway, I'm excited about the final version of SOTD too. With Adele's help it's starting to overcome some major changes and is turning into a pretty good story... if I do say so myself. lol! :)